Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/14432070.cms

Honda Motorcycles and Scooters India to focus on rural market

CHENNAI: Honda Motorcycles and Scooters India (HMSI) is planning to tap the rural markets with the launch of its mass segment bike "Dream Yuga", a top company official said.

Besides, the company planned to ramp up production at their second manufacturing plant at Tapukara in Rajasthan next month in a move to reduce the waiting period of all its products.

"We have planned to set up more touch points (retail sales and service points) in the coming months.. Right now, our plan is to add 500 touch points across the country, by the end of this financial year. So,it will be 1,500 to 2000 units," HMSI Vice-President and Operating Head (Sales and Marketing) Yadvinder Singh Guleria told PTI here.

"Of the 500 touch points, more than 50 per cent will be in rural areas," he said indicating their focus would be more in semi-urban and rural areas.

Noting that the 110cc segment has been witnessing huge competition, he said they would position their other variant "Twister" motorcycle targeting the young college students, while "Dream Yuga" for those who are conscious of fuel consumption and for day-to-day commuting purposes.

HMSI offers Twister, Dream Yuga, CB Shine, CB Unicorn, CB Unicorn Dazzler, CBR250R, CBR 150R, Honda Activa and Dio.

On their plans to increase production, Guleria said, "We will be ramping up production in our second manufacturing plant next month. Once that happens, we will be able to reduce the waiting period for all our products..".

==========================

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/fe...4_honda_rc114/

1964 Honda RC114 | The Bike That Changed My Life

RIDER: Kaz Yoshima
    THEN: Honda R&D janitor
    NOW: Reclusive tuning genius

I didn’t go to college when I was young. I went to work at Honda instead—you could say I decided to take Honda College. My position? When I started, it was sweeping the floor.

“Honda’s little 50cc Grand Prix bikes were pretty cool. That was the reason I went to Honda. The frst time I saw one, I knew I wanted to work there. This was 1965, maybe ’66. The 50cc engine spins like 22,000 rpm. The valves were so tiny, like 6mm. The stems looked like toothpicks. I never had the bike, but I collected lots of parts. Honda used to throw away the factory racebikes, so I’d go through the trash and pick out pieces. I used to have some 50cc pistons—they were so tiny, 25mm diameter. One time I even found a six-cylinder head!

“I started off sweeping the foors, and they moved me around so I could learn. I wanted to work on GP bikes, but they stopped that program in ’67. I went into the car program, did a lot of engine prototyping and spent lots of time in dyno rooms. Old-fashioned, but that’s the way I learned the engine, in bits and pieces.

“I had a lot of fun, but wanted to do something different. That’s why I came to America. I know I have an expiration date on my ass, so I’m going to move around. Those parts? I give them away to people I used to work with, and people who race my bikes. As a reminder, in case I don’t come back.”

Iubesc masinile japoneze. Ele nu mint, nu inseala !
    ACURA & HONDA SUV FAN CLUB ROMANIA - http://daimyo.ro/index.php?action=forum

Comment

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/fe...9_honda_cb750/

2012 Motorcycle of the Century | 1969 Honda CB750
      The Bike That Changed Everything

The history of motorcycles barely stretches beyond 100 years. Gottlieb Daimler built the first in 1885, though outriggers meant his technically had four wheels. The first machines we would recognize as true motorcycles came from Millet (1892), Hildebrand & Wolfmueller (1894) and DeDion-Buton (1895). Countless milestone bikes have come and gone in the 117 years since, and many warrant serious Motorcycle of the Century consideration.

There can only be one winner, however, and no matter what criteria we considered, Honda’s CB750 was our unanimous choice. This bike changed everything. The CB750 wasn’t an engineering breakthrough—inline-fours, disc brakes, electric start and quad-exhausts had all been done before. The CB750 was conservative, even, with just a single cam and two valves per cylinder, plus chain primary and final drive. The brilliance lay in its application, and the bold way Honda repackaged such exotic technology in mass-produced form, with all the kinks ironed out—then delivered it at a price and in a quantity that gave almost anyone access.

This was the first “modern” motorcycle. Modernism is defined by how humans use knowledge and technology to improve and reshape their world, and there is no better emblem of modern thought than Soichiro Honda. He utterly rejected the existing motorcycle industry’s provincial, cottage-industry traditions, replacing established ideas with cutting-edge engineering, technology and manufacturing technique. The CB750 was a direct result of this new process, and its success revolutionized the way motorcycles were designed, built and sold.

From the moment the public first laid eyes on it at the 1968 Tokyo Motor Show, the CB750 was an unqualified success. With its visually imposing inline engine and four gleaming exhaust headers, the CB750 looked like a street-legal Grand Prix bike. And with a legitimate 125-mph top speed, it had the performance to match its looks. By '73 Honda was selling more than 60,000 CB750s each year. The massive impact of the CB750 forever banished Japan’s former reputation as a copycat nation, capable of little more than mass-producing others' designs for a fraction of the cost. The CB750 forged a new reputation for the island nation as an indisputable source of the best engineering, design and technology in the world. More important to motorcycle enthusiasts, the CB750 acted as the archetypal Japanese superbike, kicking off an epic high-performance arms race that continues to this day. There would be no Honda CBR1000RR—nor Kawasaki ZX-10R, or Suzuki GSX-R1000, or Yamaha YZF-R1—if the CB750 hadn’t come first.

Mr. Honda was famously short with praise, yet even he couldn’t conceal his excitement after riding the CB750 for the first time. One former Honda R&D employee remembered the scene: “It was during final testing in the U.S. Mr. Honda happened to be there. He said, ‘Let me ride that thing,’ and just jumped on and blasted off across the desert. He was gone for nearly a half-hour. Everyone was quiet, and very nervous. When he came back, he just said, ‘What a terrific, terrific machine!’ then walked away, laughing. That was the first time anyone there ever heard any words of praise from him!”

Motorcyclist’s Motorcycle of the Century: the 1969 Honda CB750. What a terrific. terrific machine indeed!

Exotic and affordable, fast and reliable, capable and accessible, the CB750 was a magic bullet. This bike began the reputation for pragmatic performance that defines Honda today.

Comment

http://www.fullnoise.com.au/news/ind...%20two%20years

Honda Motor Europe signs Bobryshev for the next two years

Evgeny Bobryshev has signed an agreement to race with the Honda World Motocross team for the next two years in the FIM MX1 World Championship.

24-year-old Bobryshev, who hails from Kondrovo in Russia, has ridden Honda machinery since his step up to the MX1 class in 2010 where he finished 10th in the World and won the British Championship prior to moving to the Honda World Motocross squad for the last two seasons. The Russian ace has certainly made the most of his time and development with the team so far, having enjoyed his maiden Grand Prix win with a double moto victory in Teutschenthal, Germany last year along with a number of podium finishes, which secured him fourth place in the World MX1 Championship.

This season has certainly been tough so far for Bobryshev as an injury to the hand from the first round in The Netherlands has thwarted his progress along with sickness at the Mexico and Brazil rounds of the series. However, the Honda pilot has demonstrated his speed and potential with his huge amount of desire to succeed, which has urged Honda Europe and the Honda World Motocross team to retain his services for the next few years.

"I am really happy to continue to be part of the Honda family for the next two years," Bobryshev said. "This is my second year with the Honda World Motocross team, and I am comfortable here with everyone working so hard together with the same goal. This is the main reason for me to stay, as this family feeling is important as a rider for us to achieve what we aim for and to have the support during all of the ups and downs."

"I look forward to continuing our hard work to gain the results we are aiming for and the group around me is really strong, so I am confident of success," the Russian continued.

"I have looked at other possibilities, but fundamentally the important thing for me is the feeling with the team and the confidence in the people you are working with. I am also very happy with the CRF 450R; the support from the R&D department in Japan, as well as Honda Europe, Showa and Dunlop comes together to create a really extensive programme with a strong development path to give me the best tools to do the job."

The feeling is mutual, as a Honda grown rider that has belief in the CRF 450R and the family that surrounds him during the intense World Motocross season, Bobryshev was keen to scribe his commitment to Honda so he can concentrate on returning to full fitness and the results he is capable of.

Honda Motor Europe Off-Road Manager, Roger Harvey, added, "We've seen the potential in Bobby over the years, and he's come up through as a Honda rider. We still have great belief in what he can do and what he can achieve, although this year hasn't worked out as expected with the number of small injuries he's had along with the illness.

"He is what we see as the future, and a Honda person who has been brought up in the Honda way with his belief in our machinery. For us it made sense to continue this relationship and I am really happy, as he's a great guy to work with; his work ethic is good, he is a great ambassador for the sport and he is strong both physically and mentally. He is quite a late developer really, and we've seen his speed, so it's just a case of bringing everything together while omitting those small mistakes and then we'll see the true potential."

The Honda World Motocross team, which is headed by Team Owner Paolo Martin, is based on years of experience having worked with Honda machinery for over 20 years. The team benefits from expertise from its technical partners including Showa, Dunlop, Investment Trade Bank and One Industries, as well as development of the race machines while working closely with Honda's R&D department in Japan.

Paolo Martin, concluded, saying, "It's good news for us to have Bobby staying with us for a further two years. I am very happy, and although this year has been tough, the progress over the past two seasons that we've made is good. At the moment Bobby isn't 100% in being able to win the title, and we have more areas to work on together, but from last year we've come from being at top ten level to top five level, and finally we are at around 80% of our full potential.

"I think within the next two years we should be in a good position for the championship, and Bobby is good to work with, as he has taken on board everything by learning how to become a factory level professional rider. His speed is there, but we need to find the consistency required throughout a season to turn that into the results we are looking for."

Comment

http://india.nydailynews.com/busines...growth-in-june

Nissan, Honda Motorcycle log good growth in June

Chennai, July 2 — Nissan Motor India Private Ltd, the Indian subsidiary of Japanese auto maker Nissan Motor Company, Monday announced that it closed June 2012 with sales of 4,167 units up from 1,632 units sold in June last year.

In a statement issued here, the company said the sales growth was driven by Micra and Sunny models contributing 4,157 units and the balance 10 units comprising models like X-Trail, Teana and the 370Z sports car.

"Though the Indian economy and the local automobile market have been going through some difficulty in the recent times, we have witnessed encouraging sales," managing director Ishida Takayuki was quoted as saying in the statement.

In the two wheeler segment while Indian companies like Bajaj Auto and TVS Motor logged negative growth last month, Japanese company Honda Motorcycle and Scooter India logged 52 percent sales increase.

Honda Motorcycle registered total sales of 226,864 units (motorcycles 103,130 units, scooters 123,734 units) last month as against 148,937 units (motorcycles 70,135 units, scooters 78,802 units) clocked in June 2011, said the company in a statement.

IANS

Comment

http://www.leftlanenews.com/honda-to...kar-rally.html

Honda to return to Dakar Rally

Honda has announced its two-wheeled return to the Dakar Rally. Honda was once a dominant figure in the annual off-road event, but the Japanese car and motorcycle maker has not participated in the rally for the last 23 years.

But that will change in January 2013 as Honda has declared its return to the starting grid of the Dakar Rally. The Honda team, which will operate under the name Team HRC, will include Portuguese rider Helder Rodrigues, Brazilian Felipe Zanol, UK-native Sam Sunderland and Javier Pizzolito from Argentina.

Honda is taking its return to the Dakar Rally seriously and intendeds to take home the championship on the back of a prototype machine based on the CRF450X. Honda will also supply a limited number of teams with a kit to transformer the standard CRF450X into a Dakar racer.

“The Dakar requires competitors to cover several hundred kilometers per day for more than two weeks,” Tetsuo Suzuk, head of Honda’s motorcycle R&D, said. “It needs a totally different type of vehicle from events such as motocross, trials and road races. Honda has put a great deal of effort into designing and building a powerful and winning machine. We are aiming for the championship from this first year.”

Honda last participated in the Dakar Rally (known then as the Paris-Dakar Rally) during the nine-year stretch between 1981 and 1989, taking home five championships.

Comment

http://www.cycleworld.com/2012/07/10...ng-impression/

Honda Silver Wing – Riding Impression
              “Maxi” enough to stand up to the competition?

Recumbent Bicyclists. Dudes who wear socks with sandals. Drivers of French cars. Model railroaders. Sexy seniors. Will the introduction of BMW’s new “maxi-scooters” make them all cool? We know not. Yet the beauty of all these rugged individuals is that they just don’t care what the rest of the world thinks: Without peers, there is no pressure. We do know that BMW has been doing some pretty accurate prognosticating lately, and since it was time to return our Honda Ruckus, we snagged a quick ride on the opposite end of Honda’s scooter range: the Silver Wing, introduced in 2001.

It’s not exactly cheap at a competitive-in-class $9270, but where most scooters are almost novelty purchases for zipping around the neighborhood, you can actually tour on the Silver Wing with or without the SO. And as a commuter/urban runabout, well, if you live in a warm/dry climate, like L.A., you could really get away with the ’Wing as an only vehicle. Keeping ahead of the traffic wave is no problem for the 582cc fuel-injected Twin, and Honda’s V-Matic transmission puts the power to the pavement with zero fuss. It’ll flash right up to an indicated 100 mph and feels stable enough doing it, though the windshield at that speed flaps alarmingly, like a possessed doggie door. At lower speeds, it stops aflapping, but there are still a few resonances and buzzes coming from the plastic as the two-cylinder drones toward its 5500-rpm happy place like a massive Cuisinart. It’s all reasonably efficient (to the tune of about 46 mpg in mixed urban use), but none of it really gives you the Swiss-watch-precise feel of a nice new VFR or CBR.

Handlingwise, more of the same: With a lot of the Silver Wing’s 551 claimed pounds (wet) located directly beneath you, steer-ing feel isn’t really what you’d call precise. There’s room for a large passenger on the broad, well-padded seat, but we’d take it easy diving into sweeping off-ramps with one on board. On the other hand, the linked brakes with standard ABS are more than adequate.

There’s enough storage under the seat to convert the thing to a hearse. Okay, not quite, but there’s plenty of room for two helmets or a rain suit, a big bag of groceries and a 12-pack. In town, our only complaint is that the SW is also pretty wide: Where legal, lane-splitting is a tight squeeze. On the other hand, the seat’s so comfortable and the cg so low, you don’t mind so much sitting in traffic. All your toys are right at hand in the dashboard. Check your messages. Mount your GPS. Rock your Pandora…wait, why is there no sound system like on the Gold Wing? Come to think of it, where are my heated grips and ad-justable windshield?

In the final analysis, we still think (okay, I think) the maxi-scooter is a great concept. After 11 years, the Wing may be due for an overhaul. It’s fast, but the new BMWs will likely be faster, and with architecture that should also provide superior handling along with more creature comforts. On the other hand, the new-concept Honda NC700X might blow all the maxis into the weeds when it gets here (about the time you’re reading this) for substantially less money. It’s got a lot of scooter-like convenience—large, integrated stor-age, low center of gravity, optional DCT transmission—in a motorcycle-like package.

Comment

http://www.motorsport.com/motogp/new...3v-at-mugello/

Honda to test new RC213V at Mugello

Japanese manufacturer aims to retain championship crown with new machine

Repsol Honda have confirmed they will test two brand-new RC213V machines, complete with new engines, at the official MotoGP test on Monday following the Gran Premio d'Italia TIM and HRC Vice President Shuhei Nakamoto also said that riders Casey Stoner and Dani Pedrosa will be allowed to campaign the new machine for the rest of this year’s MotoGP championship if they like the changes made by the Japanese manufacturer.

Monday we will have a completely new machine. - HRC Vice-President Shuhei Nakamoto

From the beginning of this year when Dorna announced that a new Bridgestone front tire was to be introduced from the Silverstone round onwards, Honda did not agree with the change citing that their machine was built around the original front tire used in pre-season testing. Now the manufacturer has decided to introduce the machine that they planned to race in the 2013 championship. Speaking after the announcement, Nakamoto confirmed that the new machine will be tested on Monday.

“Monday we will have a completely new machine, said Mr Nakamoto while continuing, “We will bring two, one for each rider. Originally this bike was next year’s prototype, but we have to fix the bike to cope with the new tyre’s construction. We decided that if the riders are happy, we will use this machine even for this year.

And also we will bring a new specification engine. The basic specification is the same, but it has a little more power. The bike looks very similar, but has something different - I can’t give details. Chattering is the biggest problem for us, but it’s not only chattering. The front tyre squashing too much is a problem as well. Solving everything is not easy,” Mr Nakamoto added.

Comment

http://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/bike...ade-a-new-edge

Honda gives the Fireblade a new edge

If you were expecting Honda to completely revise the incredible CBR1000RR Fireblade for the 20th anniversary of the model, you're going to be disappointed.

Only about 30 per cent of the newest blade is new, but it's still far from becoming a grandpa's axe in the manner of most Australian-made cars, some of which have used the same doors and basic architecture for more than two decades now. Far from it, the Fireblade is still the same ultra-sharp ride, and still a 1000cc sportsbike segment leader in three key areas – handling in low-speed corners, rider ergonomics, and suspension compliance.

Perhaps the way people will view the latest iteration of the sportiest Honda will be determined by whether they judge their jugs of beer to be either half-full or half-empty.

Certainly the Fireblade lacks the trendiest new feature of the sportsbike arena – traction control – and this oversight will create a few howls of derision within the ranks of the half-empty crowd. Meanwhile, the half-full folk can point out a simple fact about the Honda that it remains the most user-friendly litre-sized two-wheeled missile in existence, both in terms of its levels of on-road comfort and the ease with which any rider can extract its performance.

Other 1000cc sportsbikes possess traction control because they would be vicious sphincter-puckering rides without it. The blade is so sublime and benign, that its riders arguably don't require electronic assistance.

Perhaps Honda should revive the spirit of the famous "you meet the nicest people on a Honda" campaign by revising the historic slogan to "you meet the nicest bikes in a Honda showroom".

However, niceness can be both a blessing and a curse, and in our increasingly digital instant-gratification world, the lack of electronic intervention in the power delivery of the blade will seem a glaring omission to some.

Certainly, there has been no reluctance on the part of Honda to provide traction control in the past, as the ST1100 tourer of the late 20th century was the first bike to ever receive it. However, touring bikes are operated in totally different riding environments and conditions to sports machines. The Fireblade is unlikely to be ridden in inclement weather by riders putting the 1000th kilometre of the day under their belts, their senses dulled by road fatigue. Instead, it is more likely to be used in sunnier climes either in short sharp road rides or quick 20-lap bursts at a trackday, the eyes of the pilot at the handlebars wide with concentration and totally focused, the tactile sensations they feel through their fingers, butt, and feet searching for every skerrick of traction in the road/track surface.

Given that a sportsbike is always likely to be ridden in a state of high concentration over short periods, Honda's proposition that it doesn't require traction control if the basic mechanical elements of the bike are well-sorted is quite a persuasive one. That argument gathers new strength when you compare the price and build quality of the blade with those of its TC-equipped competition. At $22,485, the Honda is five bucks cheaper than the only other TC-less sportsbike on the New Zealand market, Suzuki's GSX-R1000, yet exhibits a level of build integrity that makes it look worth at least 10 grand more.

Meanwhile the two TC-equipped Japanese sporting fours, the Yamaha R1 and Kawasaki ZX-10R, are positioned quite a bit further up the market at $24,529 and $26,495 respectively. To me, the sexiness of traction control starts to wilt a little once you realise that you have got to pay four grand more for it in some instances.

So it makes complete sense to the inner Scotsman within me that Honda chose to build a 1000cc sportsbike that doesn't need it. Some of this is due to the slightly softer mid-range performance of the blade in comparison with the other three Japanese sportsbikes mentioned, particularly the hard-hitting R1. To really spin up the back tyre of the Fireblade you need to wind the engine up to five-figure revs in a low gear first, and the smooth and consistent throttle response of the 175bhp engine makes it easy to dial in the human equivalent of the Honda's missing electronics. At the rear tyre/tarmac interface, Honda's innovative new rear suspension for the 20th anniversary model also helps the considerable power of the CBR-Thou find traction, particularly over bumpy surfaces.

The new twin-tube rear shock co-developed by long-time racing partners Showa and Honda is matched by the Japanese suspension specialist's signature big piston 43mm inverted front forks also shared with the Suzuki and Kawasaki 1000s. However, the latter find their best set-up in Fireblade form, and the CBR tracks over bumps with more compliance, perhaps because the forks have less unsprung mass to control. For the new lighter, more rigid alloy wheels are one of the 20th anniversary bike's crowning features, along with the new MotoGP-inspired instrument display.

Twenty years young, the blade is just as frisky as ever, and remains one of the best 1000cc sportsbikes to ride on the road.

AT A GLANCE

Engine: 999.8cc liquid-cooled dohc 16-valve inline four, stoked by electronic fuel injection to develop 130.7kW (175bhp) at 12,000rpm and 112Nm at 8500rpm.

Transmission: Six-speed sequential gearbox, chain final drive.

Frame: Cast alloy twin-spar frame and cast alloy rear swingarm; 43mm inverted fully adjustable front forks, fully adjustable rear monoshock.

Price: $22,485.

Hot: Honda upgrades 30 per cent of the totemic Fireblade with new suspension, wheels, bodywork and instruments; the other 70 per cent wasn't broken.

Not: New upper front fairing design might be viewed as a Ducati 1198 rip-off; MotoGP instruments won't suit everyone's tastes.

- © Fairfax NZ News

Comment

http://www.ultimatemotorcycling.com/...scooter-review

2013 Honda PCX150 | Scooter Review

Honda PCX 150 Scooter Test

The 2013 year is big for Honda scooters. First, the Metropolitan gets EFI, greatly improving the scooter's diminutive 50cc motor. Now, we get the new 2013 Honda PCX150 scooter, replacing the 125cc version and creating a motor vehicle with much greater utility and fun.

Most important, of course, is the nearly perfectly square 153cc motor. By upping the displacement, the PCX150 is now freeway capable (check your local requirements). I took it out on the busy San Diego Freeway and it worked its way up to 70 mph, so it can stay with traffic, though not with a whole lot left in reserve. Stability is good, with the 14-inch tires and nearly 52-inch wheelbase. Still, freeway riding is not what the PCX150 is about.

Small scooters work great in heavily trafficked urban areas. However, once you find your way to the suburbs where the roads are wider, less crowded and have higher speed limits than 35 mph, more power is needed. That's where the 2013 Honda PCX150 comes in.

Up to 55 mph, the Honda PCX150 does fine. Sure, acceleration starts to flatten out at 35 mph or so, but it gets there fairly quickly. That means you don't have to worry about getting in the way coming away from stop lights in busy, impatient traffic. You can twist the throttle and put most traffic in the PCX150's effective rear view mirrors.

The EFI works flawlessly on the PCX150, which is an worldwide model made in Thailand. The fully automatic V-Matic belt-converter transmission is also perfect in operation. Working together, Honda claims over 100 mpg for the scooter, and it has a 1.6-gallon tank.

There's a 2.5-liter underseat storage compartment that will swallow up helmets of various configurations, as well as carry a full canvas bag from Whole Foods. There is also a small unlockable storage compartment that's handy for your wallet, or change for tolls or parking.

Running errands on the Honda PCX150 is quite fun. You can work around traffic with ease, and if lane splitting is permitted, move to the front of the line with confidence. Weighing it at well under 300 pounds fully gassed up, the PCX150 is nimble for its displacement. Even when tossing it around in traffic, it always has good contact with the pavement.

Bumpy roads are handled ably by the 14-inch wheels shod with IRC tires. The suspension offers less than four inches of travel, and there's always the issue of the motor and tranny being unsprung weight, so you aren't going to see a plush ride. Still, hitting small potholes or irregular pavement is not a problem. You will feel the road, but you won't get knocked off.

Cornering confident and clearance is excellent on the 2013 Honda PCX150. Again, the IRC tires do a great job. You can whip the scooter around with authority on twisting roads, or between cars. The motorcycle-style bars have a nice bend and strike just the right balance-they're narrow enough to thread needles, yet wide enough for good leverage.

The 2013 Honda PCX150 has a competent front disc brake, though you won't want to use it on its own. Instead, operate the left-hand brake lever, which actuates a mechanical linked braking system. With the rear drum and front disc working in concert, the PCX150 slows down quickly. The rear wheel can skid, so don't simply grab handfuls of brakes.

Ergonomics are compact on the 2013 Honda PCX150 scooter. The bars, as mentioned, are excellent. The floorboards are long enough to allow repositioning of your feet on longer rides, and the angle up at the front for even more legroom and comfort.

Seat padding has been improved for 2013-not a big deal, but the seat is comfortable and sits a manageable 30 inches high. The passenger will definitely be happy. The perch is sizable and the footrests wide and well positioned. However, be ready for a serious performance hit two-up. Remember, it's still just 153cc back at the rear wheel.

Honda offers the 2013 PCX150 in Metallic Black or Candy Red. I think the Candy Red is the way to go, unless you're trying to be stealth. The styling is modern, so it's not like you don't want to be noticed. Honda Genuine Accessories include a rear trunk and windscreen.

We were big fans of the old 125cc PCX.

We had one for a while, and it did everything we asked. One thing we didn't ask was the older scooter to do was take on the freeway. With the 2013 Honda PCX150, the freeway is in reach, especially in urban areas where the speed limit is restricted to 55 mph. In town, the PCX150 is hugely fun and practical, and that's what a scooter is all about.

2013 Honda PCX150

Specs:

Engine Type: Single-cylinder four-stroke
                    Displacement: 153cc
                    Bore and Stroke: 58.0mm x 57.9mm
                    Compression ratio: 10.6:1
                    Valve Train: SOHC; two-valve
Cooling: Liquid
                    Induction: PGM-FI with automatic enrichment
                    Ignition: Digital with electronic advance
                    Transmission: Honda V-Matic belt-converter automatic transmission
                    Suspension/travel
                    Front: 31mm hydraulic fork/3.5 inches
                    Rear: Twin shocks/3.1 inches
                    Brakes
                    Front: Single 220mm disc with three-piston caliper
                    Rear: Drum with CBS
                    Tires
                    Front: IRC 90/90-14
                    Rear: IRC 100/90-14
                    Wheelbase: 51.8 inches
                    Rake: 27.0°
                    Trail: 3.4 inches
                    Seat Height: 29.9 inches
                    Fuel Capacity: 1.6 gallons
                    Estimated Fuel Economy: 102 MPG
                    Colors: Candy Red, Metallic Black
                    Curb weight : 286 pounds (includes all standard equipment, required fluids and full tank of fuel-ready to ride)
                    Emissions: Meets current CARB and EPA standards.
                    MSRP: $3449

Riding Style:

Helmet: Bell Drifter DLX

Eyewear: Serengeti Sport Assisi
                    Jacket: Roland Sands Design Assault
                    Gloves: Roland Sands Design Domino
                    Jeans: Cortech Mod
                    Boots: Sidi Slash

Comment

• http://paultan.org/2012/07/27/boon-s...-honda-future/

Boon Siew introduces the new 125cc Honda Future

Boon Siew Honda recently unveiled what it calls “Malaysia’s first long-distance moped bike”, the Honda Future. According to Boon Siew, their new kapcai is capable of traveling a maximum distance of 338 km on one full tank of petrol (5.6 litres) in the ECE40 Mode, which is best in class, and 100 km more than what the Wave 125 X Ultimo can do.

The Future is powered by a new 125 cc air-cooled engine. The four-stroke SOHC unit has 7.6% better fuel economy compared to the Wave 125, it is claimed. The Future’s rated 60.3 km/l is a 0.5 km/l improvement over the older bike. Quite substantial.

Other key features include the 19-litre U Box that can fit a full-face helmet, a side battery casing for easy access, push-seat function and automatic key lock shutters. The Future also comes with rear LED lights, a blue-lit speedometer and a fog light.

In line with its role as a “long-distance moped” the Future has a wider seat, and the clear distinction between rider and pillion translates to better long distance comfort. A molded front design that eliminates the use of screws reduces vibration and sounds from the front cover.

Three variants are available. Variant 1 features an electric starter, spoke wheels and front disc brakes, Variant 2 gets sports wheels, electric starter and front disc brakes, while Variant 3 combines the electric starter, sporty wheels and front/rear disc brakes. Choose from Coral Orange Metallic, Pearl Magellanic Black and Euphoria Red Metallic.

Priced from RM5,578 to RM5,998, Boon Siew expects the Future to be as popular as the amazingly evergreen EX-5.

Comment

• http://in.reuters.com/article/2012/0...8JV65320120831

Honda to form motorcycle joint venture in Bangladesh-Nikkei

(Reuters) - Honda Motor Co plans to form a joint venture in Bangladesh as early as this year to produce motorcycles, the Nikkei reported.

Honda used to sell motorcycles in Bangladesh through Indian motorcycle maker Hero MotoCorp Ltd. The Japanese company canceled its tie-up with Hero in 2011, the daily reported.

The venture, with a local business, will set up a low-cost assembly facility with an annual sales target of 10,000 to 20,000 units, the business daily said.

The motorcycles will be built for the local market from components shipped from India and Pakistan, the Nikkei reported.

Annual motorcycle sales in Bangladesh are about 100,000 units, the daily said. (Reporting By Vrinda Manocha in Bangalore; Editing by Sriraj Kalluvila)

==================================

http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/...ew-model-in-q3

AP Honda to roll out new model in Q3

Thailand's motorcycle market has slowed since the rainy season began, but the momentum continued in July with 5% year-on-year growth on the strength of 187,771 units sold.

Honda maintained its market leadership, with 5% growth and sales of 126,043 units. Sales of the promising automatic transmission (AT) model grew by 20% from a year earlier, with 93,514 units sold.

Two of the three best-sellers were Honda's Scoopy-i and Click 125i, with sales of 28,388 and 19,692 units.

Suchart Arunsaengroj, the sales director at AP Honda, said the company plans a new model and promotional campaign, partnering with the football clubs Manchester United and Liverpool.

"As the market leader, Honda plans to boost the market in the third quarter with a new model to be launched, for the first time ever in the rainy season, under the 'Big Fan Big Fun' campaign," said Mr Suchart.

"With the campaign, Honda has become an official partner with the legendary football clubs Manchester United and Liverpool. The move will certainly boost the local motorcycle industry. Details of the promotional campaign will be announced later."

Motorcycle sales overall reached 187,771 units last month, of which 93,514 were AT motorcycles.

Family motorcycles achieved sales of 85,853 units, followed by 3,376 for on-off versions, 3,291 for sport cycles and 1,737 for other types.

By manufacturer, Honda posted the biggest sales with 126,043 units for a 67% market share, followed by Yamaha with 45,842 (24%), Suzuki with 7,638 (4%), Kawasaki with 3,649 (2%) and other brands with 4,599.

Comment

• http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/623/14...ntroduced.aspx

2013 Honda Fury/ Honda Cruisers Introduced

Honda Motorcycles revealed its 2013 cruiser motorcycles today, ranging from its popular mid-range Honda Shadow to its touring capable Interstate. The 2013 Honda Rebel marks 27 years in production without many changes to its classic styling during that span. Why mess with a recipe that’s been good for a claimed 140,000 units sold? The Honda Shadow cruiser line, available in four variations in 2013, has been around since 1983, selling more than a
                          2013 Honda Fury
                          The 2013 Honda Fury features a 21-inch tall front wheel balanced out on the backside by a 200mm rear, all powered by a liquid-cooled 1312cc V-Twin. It is available with factory ABS for $1000 more than its $13,390 MSRP.

2013 Honda Fury with ABS. ABS available on black Honda Fury only proclaimed 250,000 units. Four 2013 Honda VTX 1300 models are back for 2013, the larger displacement VTX1300 line good for over 129,000 models sold to date, according to Honda PR.

One motorcycle that’s been helping fuel sales the last couple of years for Honda in the VTX1300 line is its raked-out Fury. The 2013 Honda Fury (MSRP $13,390 - $14,390 ABS) continues to sport a 3.4-gallon tank with distinctive lines mounted high on the backbone, opening up the space above the engine and the tubular frame. A 21-inch tall front hoop is kicked out at a 38-degree angle, the chopper-esque dimensions balanced out by the 200mm wide rear. A big 336mm disc with twin-piston calipers anchors the front while the single-piston arrangement on the rear clamps down on a healthy 296mm disc. ABS is an option that can be added for an extra $1000. The 45mm front fork sports 4.0 inches of travel while the single shock on the rear has five-way spring preload adjustability. Its five-speed gearbox is smooth and reliable while the Fury handles much better than you’d expect for a bike with such a heavy rake. And while factory custom chopper manufacturers have been dropping like flies, the Honda Fury continues to sell well enough to continue making it back into production since its 2010 introduction. It helps that the Fury’s price point hasn’t jumped up much since its release, the 2013 MSRP of $13,390 only $391 more than the 2010 Honda Fury.

The 2013 Honda Shadow 750cc cruiser line consists of four models, from the low-slung Aero to the blacked-out Phantom. Where the 2013 Honda Aero features full fenders, spoked wheels and chromed 2-into-2 exhaust, the 2013 Phantom sports a beefier fork, a blacked-out 745cc engine, frame, rims and handlebars to go along with chopped fenders. The 2013 Shadow Spirit 750 has the lowest seat height of the bunch at 25.7 inches and a taller 21-inch front wheel while the 2013 Shadow RS has a flatter seat, higher-set footpegs, shorter, more upright bars and a smaller 2.6-gallon peanut-shaped tank.

The 2013 VTX1300 line includes four varieties, all powered by Honda’s liquid-cooled 1312cc V-Twin fed by Programmed Fuel Injection. The 2013 Sabre is the brawniest of the bunch with its trimmed down fenders and five-spoke cast wheels. The 2013 Stateline is more traditionally dressed in longer, valanced fenders and a meatier 140mm front tire (compared to the 90mm front on the Sabre) while the 2013 Interstate comes road-ready with a removable windscreen, floorboards and saddlebags. The Stateline is the most affordably priced with an MSRP ranging from $12,150 - $13,150 while the 2013 Sabre is priced comparably from $12,250 - $13,250. The touring amenities of the 2013 Interstate bump the MSRP on the final VTX1300 model up to $13,240 - $14,240.

2013 Honda Interstate2013 Honda Shadow RS2013 Honda Rebel
                          (L) The 2013 Honda Interstate is ready to go road trippin' courtesy of floorboards, a windscreen and saddlebags. (M) The 2013 Honda RS has bars that are in and foot controls that are up in comparison to the other 750cc Honda Shadow models. It also has a sporty peanut-style tank. (R) The 2013 Honda Rebel marks the model's 27th anniversary.

For riders looking to customize their Honda cruiser, be sure to check out the long list of Honda Genuine Accessories.

Comment

• http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...ate-india.html

Honda Models Test Hero Ahead of Festive Sales: Corporate India

Honda Motor Co. (7267) is selling more of its motorcycles and scooters in India, gaining on former partner Hero MotoCorp Ltd. (HMCL) ahead of the festive season starting this month in the world’s second-largest two-wheeler market.

Honda, the world’s biggest motorcycle maker, aims to boost sales by 30 percent to 2.75 million units in the year ending March 31, Yadvinder Guleria, vice president for sales at the company’s India unit, said in an interview. Hero is banking on festival-season demand to reduce “high” inventories, Managing Director Pawan Kant Munjal said in New Delhi yesterday.
                            Enlarge image Honda Models Test Hero Ahead of Festive Sales

Shipments of the local unit of Honda have surged 49 percent in the five months through Aug. 30 from a year earlier, compared with a 1.8 percent rise in deliveries at Hero, India’s biggest motorcycle maker. Photographer: Haruyoshi Yamaguchi/Bloomberg

Shipments of the local unit of Honda have surged 49 percent in the five months through Aug. 30 from a year earlier, compared with a 1.8 percent rise in deliveries at Hero, India’s biggest motorcycle maker. Revenue at Hero may increase at the slowest pace in five years in the 12 months to March, according to the median estimate of 63 analysts compiled by Bloomberg, as competition between the former partners intensifies.

“Hero has not been able to upgrade its customers from its budget motorcycles to its more expensive offerings -- a void that is being filled by Honda,” said Ronak Sarda, an analyst at MSFL Research in Mumbai, who recommends selling the stock. “The catalyst Hero is looking for is the festival demand.”

Hero has dropped 18 percent in the past year making it the third-worst performer in the 26-company MSCI Emerging Markets Automobiles & Components Index. (MXEF0AC) Hero fell 0.2 percent to 1,786.35 rupees at 9:59 a.m. in Mumbai trading.
                            Festival Sales

Companies in India including Hero and Honda count on demand during the festival season, which starts with homage to Ganesh, the elephant-headed god of prosperity, on Sept. 19 and runs through Nov. 13 with Diwali, the festival of lights. That’s followed by the wedding season from November to December and from late March through early May.

“We will ensure there is sufficient stock available at the dealerships to leverage the high retail opportunity that comes with the festive season,” Anil Dua, senior vice president for marketing and sales at Hero, said in an e-mail. “We have a robust communication plan leading up to the festive season.”

Since the start of the year, both Honda and Hero have unveiled two new models each. Hero began selling its 125-cc Ignitor motorcycle in July starting from 55,990 rupees ($1,000), and unveiled its Maestro scooter in March. It will unveil a new variant of the Passion motorcycle before Diwali, Munjal said yesterday.

Honda, which in 2010 exited a 26-year partnership with Hero, introduced the 110-cc Dream Yuga motorcycle in June and the 150-cc CBR150 went on sale from March. Honda also unveiled a refreshed version of its Dio scooter in February and 125-cc Shine motorcycle in January.
                            Capacity Benefits

The Japanese company’s second plant in Rajasthan state doubled output from March, with a capacity to make 1.2 million units annually. Its first factory at Manesar, near capital New Delhi, has a capacity to make 1.6 million units a year.

“Since our factory in Rajasthan became fully operational, we have been able to increase production to meet demand,” Guleria said. “With the reduction of waiting lists, more customers are coming for our products.”

Honda’s third factory in India is being built in the southern Karnataka state and will boost its total annual capacity to 4 million units in the first half of next year.

Hero, which started with production of the CD 100 model in 1985, in June said it will spend more than 25 billion rupees to increase production capacity and on a research and development center. The company aims to increase its capacity to more than 9 million units a year by 2014 from about 7 million units.
                            Inventory Levels

Hero’s distribution network is estimated to have an inventory of about 40 days, up from 21-28 days, Rohan Korde and Nirav Bhatt, analysts at Anand Rathi Financial Services Ltd. in Mumbai, wrote in a note dated Sept. 3.

“Apart from the impact in branding after the split from Honda, there is also the additional impact of Honda’s raised capacity,” Korde and Bhatt, who recommend selling the stock, said. “Keener competition from peers via fresh launches would lead to short-term demand pressures in second and third quarters.”

Honda has about two weeks of inventory currently, Guleria said.
                            ‘Solo Journey’

Hero says it has got good response from customers to products it has introduced under its new brand identity after parting ways with Honda, Dua said.

“We have been expeditiously moving from the erstwhile joint brand to Hero,” said Dua. “We gained market share in the very first year of our solo journey.”

Hero’s net income margin narrowed to 9.9 percent in the three months ended June 30, the lowest in four quarters, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. Revenue in the first quarter increased 10 percent, the slowest pace since the three months ended Dec. 31 2008, according to the data.

Revenue in the year ending March 31 is estimated to rise 12 percent to 260.5 billion rupees, the slowest pace since the same period in 2008.

Both Honda and Hero are trying to win customers in Asia’s third-biggest economy where gross domestic product is expanding at a slower pace and inflation is close to 7 percent, a level the central bank has said limits room for interest-rate cuts. The nation’s GDP expanded 5.5 percent in the three months ended June from a year earlier, a pace close to the three-year low of 5.3 percent in the first quarter.

Hero with its wider offerings may be better placed than its competitors to win buyers, according to Umesh Karne, an analyst at Brics Securities Ltd. in Mumbai.

“In the current economic scenario, customers may opt for lower end motorcycles rather than more premium bikes,” said Karne. “Given Hero has a wide range of products in the lower segment, it may benefit from this growth at the entry level.”
                            Slower Growth

Two-wheeler sales in India, the world’s biggest market after China, may climb by as much as 13 percent in the 12 months ending March 31, slowing from a 14 percent pace a year earlier, according to the Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers. Of the industrywide sales of 13.4 million units in the year ended March 31, the months of September and October accounted for 18 percent of the total.

Honda in June said it expects to more than double India’s share in its global two-wheeler sales as the company adds small- engined motorcycles and opens outlets to widen reach. It’s increasing outlets and service centers to 2,000 by the end of March 2013 from 1,600 in August, Guleria said.

“When we started, we targeted urban and semi-urban customers, now we are going to smaller towns and villages,” said Guleria. “Adding new models has helped extend the market.”

=====================================

http://www.livemint.com/2012/09/0622....html?atype=tp

Hero to replace all Honda products, not brand names
                            Hero MotoCorp plans to introduce a new motorcycle in place of its newly launched bike Impulse

India’s largest motorcycle maker Hero MotoCorp Ltd will replace all two-wheelers developed by Honda Motor Co. Ltd with its own products to be developed by a group of technology partners by 2015, chief executive officer and managing director Pawan Munjal said on Thursday.

Munjal said Hero MotoCorp had already tied up with a European two-wheeler company, which he didn’t name, and an announcement will be made in two weeks. While model names such as Splendour, Passion, Glamour and Impulse will remain, these motorcycles will not run on Honda engines; neither will they sport Honda designs.

The announcement is one more step in Hero’s break from its past as Hero Honda Motor Ltd, a 26-year partnership with the Japanese company that used to advertise its products with the tagline: “Behind every Hero there is a Honda.” The partnership ended in December 2010 with the Hero Group buying out Honda’s 26% stake.

The move by Hero to develop its own products had been expected, but the entire product line-up may not be changed, one expert said.

Deepesh Rathore, managing director of automobile research firm IHS Automotive, warned that “the move can boomerang if Hero is unable to maintain the fuel efficiency and robustness” of the line-up developed by Honda.

“So, in their future models, Hero will have to ensure that they are bullet proof,” in terms of technology, Rathore said.

To begin with, Hero MotoCorp will introduce a new motorcycle in place of its newly launched Impulse, an off-roader, Munjal said.

“The idea is to develop same kind of products which Honda will be providing us till June 2014. We are working with our alliance partners to replace future Honda models,” he said. “The first one will be our on-and-off bike (Impulse). We intend to replace the earlier models, which existed during the joint venture. This will help us in curtailing our royalty outgo to Honda on new products.”

Mahantesh Sabarad, senior vice-president, equity and research, at Fortune Equity Brokers (India) Ltd, said Indian consumers tend to be quick in noticing any differences between the current and past variants of motorcycles they buy and any product shortcoming would be to Hero’s disadvantage.

“The move will definitely impact some of its famous brands because they are known for impeccable quality,” Sabarad said. “One should always remember that a brand is always supported by its value and with Honda going, Hero will have its task cut out to maintain the values. Hero has the capability to build brands but creating brand value takes a long time.”

Since parting from Honda, Hero has sought out technology partners and distributors in overseas markets.

“I am waiting for the partner to be available with me to make an announcement,” Munjal said, referring to tie-up with a leading two-wheeler maker in Europe. “The partner operates all kind of two-wheelers and is an expert in ICE engines, hybrid and electric vehicle technology. We will share more details in some time.” ICE is short for internal combustion engine.

Hero has also announced tie-ups with US-based sports bike maker EBR Racing, which is expected to help Hero develop high-end bikes. It has an agreement with Austria-based engine maker AVL, which will work with Hero’s research and development (R&D) staff to develop a range of engines.

In a bid to acquire technology, the company said that it will look to buy a stake in its partners, a strategy that rival Bajaj Auto Ltd also adopted by picking up a minority stake in Austrian bike maker KTM and gradually raising it to 47%. Bajaj and KTM have been sharing product platforms.

“There is every possibility that sooner or later we will be financially involved in these companies (partners),” Munjal said. “We will pick up minor equity stakes. We will start with EBR. The ultimate aim is to have extended arm of our own R&D as we aim to become a major global player.”

Munjal said that the company is looking to establish regional two-wheeler assembly hubs at three locations—Nigeria or Kenya, Colombia and Bangladesh—to tap those regional markets.

“I am looking at these hubs that could serve the countries next to them. We are starting exports from October onwards as we have finalized distributors in various countries such as Nepal, Sri Lanka, Guatemala and we are keenly looking at Kenya,” he said. “Wherever, there is manufacturing and not just assembly, we will be involved in the manufacturing.”

Hero MotoCorp shares ended 0.89% down at Rs.1,792.05, while the Sensex closed up by 0.19%, on BSE on Thursday.

Comment

• http://ajw.asahi.com/article/economy...AJ201209080015

Honda leader of the motorcycle pack in Brazil

In Brazil, most Honda motorcycles come customized with big tires that keep large-framed riders carrying gas canisters and other heavy loads from getting stuck in the pothole-filled roads.

Attention to local needs like these has helped give Honda a market share that leaves other motorcycle manufacturers in the dust.

Honda enjoys an overwhelming share of Brazil's market for motorcycles and other motorized two-wheeled vehicles, where it sells 80 percent of all new units. Yamaha Motor Co. is a distant second in Brazil with only a 10 percent market share.

Honda sold 1.63 million motorcycles in Brazil in 2011, four times as many as in the entire Japanese market.

The company's dominance is also helped by extensive on-site production and by utilizing a unique payment system in Brazil capable of withstanding economic headwinds.

Honda began making motorcycles in the Amazonian city of Manaus in 1976. With no local parts makers at the time, Honda would have had to pay heavy transportation costs and taxes to import them from Japan. So the company found ways to use locally available materials to make everything from seats to wheels on its own and hold down costs.

Even now many of the parts are made at the Manaus factory--three times what Honda's factories in Japan produce for themselves and more than any of the automaker's other factories around the world.

President Issao Mizoguchi, the head of Honda's subsidiary making and selling motorcycles in Brazil and the first local hire for the position, said, "When you want to eat Japanese sushi in Brazil, it's too expensive if all the ingredients are imported. That's the same reason why Honda uses local materials."

Honda is also helped by a unique way some products are sold in Brazil.

Although financial institutions are making it harder to qualify for loans as the economy slows down, Leandro Cristiano Lopes, who manages motorcycle dealers in the Sao Paulo area, said, "We have the 'consorcio,' so that helps."

A consorcio, related to the English word "consortium," is a joint purchasing mechanism similar to a mutual financing association. These organizations are tightly regulated by the Brazilian government. Honda has its own dedicated consorcio, which accounts for more than 30 percent of its motorcycle sales in the country.

Here is a basic rundown of how a consorcio works. For motorcycles paid for in 48 monthly installments, the financial company presiding over the arrangement will recruit 96 people (twice the number of payments) who want to purchase a vehicle. The company gives participants two vehicles a month. One recipient is selected at random, while the other is the person who pays the highest number of installments in advance. This allows some lucky participants to get their motorcycle before making all 48 payments, and the consorcio lets people unable to obtain a loan from a financial institution because of low income or large debts purchase big ticket items.

Consorcios also helped keep sales brisk during the late 1980s, when the rate of inflation exceeded 1,000 percent.

"It's a way to give customers the products they want," Mizoguchi said. "It provides some stability even when the economic situation is in flux."

Comment

• http://gas2.org/2012/09/09/i-bought-...2-honda-cx500/

I Bought a Thing: 1982 Honda CX500

It’s been a while since I made the trip out to Kankakee, IL to pick up this 1982 Honda CX500 from a retired engineer. He was the original owner, and the bike had just a tick over 4600 original miles. Why am I just getting around to writing about this latest addition to my stable now? Because motorcycle.

To many people (many sad, pitiful people), “because motorcycle” isn’t much of an answer. To other people (other happy, joyful people), all I have to do is point to where I live on a map while saying the word “motorcycle”, and they’ll immediately get it.

See, I live just outside of Chicago – but I work almost 300 miles away, in Oberlin, Ohio. What I’ve been doing out there has been largely hinted at in these pages, but that’s not relevant to the Honda. All that matters is the I80 view of Indiana’s (thankfully!) abundant farms, summer breezes, and sunny skies … not to mention rural Ohio’s country roads and the wicked S-curve on Bursley outside of Wellington, where Mike, Neil, and I test the handling limits of all manner of vehicles – from S-class Benzos to John Deere tractors to (apparently) vintage UJM metal like Honda’s CX500.

Why buy an old Honda?

I’m glad you asked, dear reader. There are really two answers to that question – but don’t worry! You’ll get both of them soon enough.

The first answer is largely personal. For years I’d had my eye on Honda’s CX series motorcycles. In their various forms, the longitudinally-mounted V-twins served as the basis for many of today’s modern motorcycling “classes”. To wit, the earliest Honda Interstate touring bikes were based on the CX, and have since evolved into the GoldWing type “road sofas” and their massive cult followings. The CX “C Custom” of the late 1970s evolved into the Shadow cruisers, which took the “weekend biker” fight straight to Harley-Davidson with more speed, better build quality, and superior reliability. It was a turbocharged CX650, also, that was one of the industry’s first true “superbikes”, setting the stage for Honda’s CBR “Hurricane” and all the Honda repli-racers that followed. Honda’s CX is a thing, in other words. This one – the “regular” CX500 – was Soichiro Honda’s attempt to build a bike that could do it all, take any challenge its rider threw at it, and excel.

When the bike showed up on eBay, for a price so low I feel guilty about it, there wasn’t much thinking to do. I hit the “Buy it Now” button within minutes of showing the bike to my friends, Tom and Alfredo (at Scooterworks USA), and getting a preliminary “thumbs up”. A clean, 1-owner CX500 became mine.

The SECOND reason – or (more accurately) second “line of reasoning” behind why I bought the bike is quite a bit more relevant to Gas 2′s usual stories. As we’ve said on these pages many times, the greenest car you can buy is a car that’s already been built. For some people, though, cars don’t make a lot of sense. For one thing, cars are tough to park in the city. They require expensive insurance policies that most bikes are exempt from. They require boatloads more natural resources to build in the first place and boatloads more to keep in service (from tires to windshield wipers to brake pads) than motorcycles – which use only a fraction of those compared to cars.

This CX500, for example, didn’t require the rare-Earth mineral mining that newer models like this bike did, or the heavy chemicals and massive facility that’s been built up around this one. It may not burn as clean as the electric racers Susanna’s been writing about lately, but my new/old Honda sure looks a lot more comfortable and long-distance-capable than the current crop of EVs (as you can imagine from the odometer photo, above, a limited range would be a huge problem for me). Then, of course, there is the most damning criticism of cars possible: they’re slow.

What I’ve got here is, in short, a dead-nuts reliable, shaft-drive vehicle that gets nearly 60 mpg and rips to 60 mph in about half the visual stimulus/physical response time of the average minivan driver. I get to enjoy the feel the wind and the road in a way that’s hard to explain to people who haven’t experienced motorcycle touring firsthand. I get to own a first-rate, classic vehicle that I can line up next to any vintage Porsche or Ferrari and not feel terribly out of place with … and I get all of that for less than the cost of a new 50 cc Lemonhead.

Take that, Tata Nano!

The summer is almost behind us, though, and I’ll be pulling the bike apart for a thorough cleaning, rebuild, and resto-modification over the winter. I’ll keep it simple, though – none of that cafe racer/hipster bullshit for me, thanks. Once it’s done, though, expect to see it again.

Recycled Hawtness, here I come!

Comment

Working...
                                X